Fraud can happen to anyone at any time and you could be a scammer’s next target. Even if you think your identity and online accounts are safe and secure, it’s still important to take these steps to protect yourself:
- Review your credit at least annually. You are entitled to a complimentary copy of your credit from each agency annually and you can access request them online at www.annualcreditreport.com
- Review your account transactions and statements regularly. Using safe tools like online and telephone banking can help you pick up on suspicious activity faster and between statements. Contact your financial institution immediately if you have any concerns.
- Do not open emails you are not expecting and be wary of attachments or links even if it’s from a sender you know or recognize. Scammers pose as common businesses and even friends, relatives and coworkers to gain your trust.
- Do not click on pop-ups for sweepstakes or gifts. These are often scams.
- Ignore and delete suspicious text messages. Do not click any links or respond to messages if you are not sure they are legitimate.
- When signing up for services online or on your mobile device, read the terms – you could be giving the company permission to access your information or share it with others.
- If you’re not sure a phone call you received is legitimate, hang up and search for the legitimate number on the verified website or an account statement.
- Do not provide personal or financial information over the phone unless you have confirmed the caller is legitimate and that they truly need that information to assist you.
- Update your computer and mobile devices with the most recent security software updates available.
- Stay informed about the latest trends and scams by signing up for our newsletter, following us on Facebook and/or visiting the consumer alerts section on our website!
If you ever feel your MVSB account information is at risk due to a fraud concern, call us directly at 800.922.6872 so that we can assist you with protecting your accounts and identity.